Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Meltdown drama.

Oooh...did not get a good report yesterday when I returned home from work.

My mother informed me that Jaysen became upset with her, and it was "like old times", a no-holds-barred meltdown. He was back to kicking, hitting, scratching, and biting. At almost 6 years old, he now has the ability to really inflict some pain.

I tried to get her to tell me exactly what happened- what set him off, what happened before, during, and after, what were the interactions, etc...but I realize that this is a lot of information that usually goes unnoticed when your own frustrations are high, like hers were.

This week, we have another med review with the psychiatrist. I am well aware that there will most likely be a med increase. And maybe there should be. Jaysen has gained somewhere around 12 pounds, so his weight-to-med ratio has changed. I'm just scared to death about this weight gain. The doc. said it would happen, and it is...but she also said she wants to start doing bloodwork to monitor for Diabetes. Good lord- I don't know what I'd do if Jaysen became diabetic as a result of something that was within my control. There is another option- to change his meds. I'm hesitant to do that because he's been doing really well on the Risperdal, and the other option is an SSRI, which in cases where there's underlying aggression, it has the tendency to make the person more aggressive. Definitely don't want that.

Dammit. Why is this so difficult? Why is it that when you finally find something that actually helps on both sides, it's so short acting? Damn, damn, damn. I for sure can't have my kid going around whoopin ass all over town- it's obviously not good for those that cross his path, but more importantly, it's his anxiety level that is dangerously high. Since starting the med, it's like he's so much more relaxed. More at peace. More...Jaysen. I just want my son to enjoy being a kid.
.

No comments: