Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's fun to stay at the YMCA...

Jaysen started summer camp this week. I have to admit, I was really nervous at first. And by nervous, I mean freaking out that my kid was going to attend a camp for 8 hours each day where there would be no supports or accommodations for him and ohmigod what if he gets poison ivy or eaten by a bear...

Okay, so there are no bears in the neighborhood, but still.

Today was his third day at camp. So far, he's had a great time. He's learned some camp songs, made me a beautiful necklace, and went rollerskating for the first time today. Rollerskating didn't score so well on the "awesome things to do at camp" list- he didn't like it because he kept falling. Whaddaya expect? ;) He even surprised me when he was in the bathtub- he said "lookit me", plugged his nose, and submerged his whole head under water. When he resurfaced, I was close to tears. We had been working with him on just putting his lips in the water and blowing bubbles for so long, and here he was holding his breath under water all by himself!

The camp director told my Dad that Jaysen is always polite, has great manners, and has been doing really well. Wow. He's made me so proud. I'm proud of him, but I'm also happy for him- that he's enjoying himself. With no supports! He's probably relieved that there's nobody following his every move and shoving him into an empty room, like at school- and he's probably relaxed enough that he can actually enjoy himself.

And I am thrilled.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

How AWESOME is that? I'm especially impressed by his learning to submerge himself. I can remember how thrilled I was when K. was finally brave enough to do that....I think he was about 11. Soon after he was swimming like a fish.

Marshella said...

Congratulations, again! That is a big step for your little guy. I'm happy he's doing well at the camp.

Ashley's Mom said...

This is wonderful! Do you mind if I link to this for the Disability Blog Carnival coming up next week?

Deborah