Saturday, March 15, 2008

Good ideas.

The other night, something amazing happened.
The boys were scrappin'- Rylan screaming like a banshee, and Jaysen wishing him away to Never-never-land.

But that wasn't the amazing part...

Out of the blue, they started to get along. That wasn't the amazing part either.

They were having so much fun, that I couldn't help but join in (facilitated play, y'know). We played for quite awhile. When I liiked at the clock, it was past Jaysen's bedtime, and waaaaay past Rylan's.

I was contemplating how I was going to deal with this situation, so I did what any half-crazy mom would so...I asked my kid.

"Jaysen. I have a problem. Do you think you could help me solve it?"

"Sure I can."

"Okay. It's 9:30. It's past bedtime, and I have to get you and Rylan to bed. What should I do?"

(Thinking...thinking...) "Put us to bed!"

The kid...he is genius. "That's a great idea. Do you think you can watch a bedtime movie while I put Rylan to bed?"

"Yep." And he got his blanket and went to his room.

I started a movie for him, and began the baby-that-would-rather-eat-wood-than-sleep 's routine.

As Rylan was just settling in, I heard...

"Mommy, can I have some water? MOM-EEEEE, can I have some water?"

Ugh. Something was strange because Jaysen would rather-eat-wood-than-drink-water, but I took the bait.

I walked into Jaysen's room with water in hand (well, not literally in my hand) and noticed he had turned the movie off.

"Jaysen, do you want another movie while I finish putting Rylan to sleep?"

He shook his head no.

"Okay, I'll be in when I'm done with your brother."

"Okay Mommy, I love you." Awww. Too bad there was Mr. Scream-o-matic in the next room, so I couldn't fully appreciate this little moment.

Once Rylan was asleep, I peeked in on Jaysen. I'll be darned. He was asleep! This is the first time Jaysen has ever gone to sleep by himself. First time ever. Ever!

Awesome.

9 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Wow! I have a hard time making myself put the kids to bed when they are playing well together.

And yay for Jaysen going to sleep on his own -- that's huge! My son still needs us there to go to sleep too.

Jodi said...

Somebody....is growing up!

Casdok said...

Truely awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Wahoo! A big milestone!

Tina Szymczak said...

I am so excited for you, that you (and the boys) had the opportunity to experience such a night of "firsts"
Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Wow - sometimes they really surprise us!

Ashley's Mom said...

Growing up can be so bittersweet at times! Good job, Jaysen!

A Bishops Wife said...

Wonderful!

This gives me hope for Junior.

Anonymous said...

whoo hoo!!!