Friday, August 28, 2009

Holding my breath.

It's too quiet.
And I'm starting to tweak.

Why am I freaking out?
Because (gasp) school is starting soon, and I'm not freaking out.
I know that probably makes about as much sense as butt-hairs on a tarantula, but it's effing true.

I am freaking out, because I am not freaking out.

Jaysen starts third grade soon.
Third grade!
That's big! Huge!
That's like the equivalent of a sophomore for elementary school!
Third grade is where it all really begins.
It's the start of social circles.
It's the start of real projects and assignments.
It's the start of math homework that mom may not be able to help with.
It's the start of new interests.
It's the stuff that dreams are made of.

This damn school is so wonderful, that I have no doubt they have Jaysen's best interest at heart. They make me feel comfortable that my son is in good hands. And apparently I don't like to feel comfortable. Comfortable is very un-comforting to me.

I'm holding my breath, waiting for something to happen. Waiting for the phone call that informs me that the school was ransacked by pirates and there won't be any red jello this year. Or the sp.ed teacher was arrested for having sex with a giraffe. Or the gen.ed teacher won the lotto and moved to Switzerland to become an expert knife sharpener. Or the principal had gender reassignment surgery and now requires to be addressed as The Lovely Princess Mojito... Something is going to happen, because that's just how it goes!

Why can't I just relax and let the school year start like any other parent?!?!
And why wasn't xanax included on the school supply list again this year?

*twitch*

6 comments:

Niksmom said...

LMAO at your list of possible things that could happen at J's school. Can't wait to read about it in the news! ;-)

With all you've been through lately, I can sure understand the "waiting for the other shoe to drop." Keep breathing. After a while, god stuff starts to feel okay, too.

Casdok said...

You make me laugh! Hope the school continues to be wonderful.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Third grade was definitely a breakthrough year for Nigel. Sending best wishes for Jaysen!

Lora said...

Thanks for the chuckle. I am in the same boat, Griffin's school and new teacher is awesome. I am kinda waiting too for something to happen. He is, for the first time, in a regular classroom without a shadow.

Looking forward to finding out how things are going, love your sense of humor!

Julie L. said...

I'm a little nervous about the start of the school year too. All we can do is take a deep breath and hope for the best. Am glad Jaysen is going to such a fantastic school. : )

Corrie Howe said...

You're too funny!!!