Wednesday, June 30, 2010

*still holding*

Just a quick blurb here...more like a rant really...

I have to say that it irritates me to no end when people know Jaysen is med-free, and any little behavioral glitch (or big one), the first thing out of their mouths is, "time to go back on meds?"

Really?
Because had you not known he was off meds, you would have thought he was just having a "rough day". But when he's off meds, we almost look for things to go wrong. We want to find them and blame them on something. If it's worse off meds, then it can be fixed by meds, and if meds can fix him....
If you really paid attention to him closely, and not just when he is off of the meds- you would notice that the behaviors and attitudes that are so glaringly obvious to you now? He was doing 2-3 weeks ago. A month ago. Last year. On meds.
So, no.

I will, however, be revisiting the issue with his psychiatrist- who by the way, isn't you... to discuss his medication situation.

Thank you, Detroit.

3 comments:

Dani G said...

I completely get it. A few months we saw a psychiatrist to discuss some meds for my daughter, who is 5. After a round of flagyl to kill gut bacteria, she did amazingly well. So, now we're focusing more and more on cleaning up the gut and we'll revisit the meds idea a bit later. But, if she has a rough day, my mom keeps asking, "have you thought more about meds?" YES! Yes, I have, but one thing at a time, ok?!!!! Sheesh!

**Wait, you're in Detroit? Me too :)

Unknown said...

That is so true! Everytime I turn around my mother-in-law is pointing out some behavior that new/different medicine could fix, and honestly, his ADHD meds are no help at all when he's feeling anxious. Also, they are just kids too. All kids do weird, silly, crazy things sometimes. I'm considering taking Eli off of some of his medicine too.

Joeymom said...

Neither of my guys are on anything, and yes, there is that urge to slap people with wet lasagna noodles when they give you that snide, "maybe you ought to try putting him on something?" or "they have a pill for that, you know!" There are kids who need meds in this world. I am grateful mine are not among them (yet). Even non-disabled kids have behavior glitches and bad days! Heck, even *I* have behavior glitches and bad days...