Sunday, June 14, 2009

This too, shall pass.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:30am.

He smells smoke.
Companion bolts out of bed only to come running back screaming "Fire! Get the kids!"

I jump out of bed.
We collide in the doorway.

Jaysen's room is right across the hall.
I am at his bed in a half a heartbeat.

"Jaysen! Get up! Jaysen!" as I shake him vigourously.
He sleeps.

In Rylan's room in another half a heartbeat.
Rylan's still small enough- I whisk him up and throw him over my left arm.

Bolt into Jaysen's room again.
Still asleep.

"Jaysen! Jaysen!" my attempt at arousal is vigorous, approaching the verge of almost violent.
"Jaysen! Get up!"
I loop my arm under his, and grip him around the shoulder.
I whip him out of bed and onto the hardwood floor.
He's up.

Rylan still over my arm, Jaysen in my grip by the arm, I run.
Down the hall, around the corner-
I can feel the heat as we enter the living room.
Front door.

I don't remember our approach to the door, or even opening it for that matter.
I just know that we're outside.
Still running, we don't stop until we're at the street.

I turn around and Companion has joined us.
We're safe. All of us.

Tiki...
Companion rushes back to the house and props the door open in hopes our family cat will make a break for it.

I'm in shock.
I am helpless as my field of vision is filled with fire.
Ohmigod. That's my house.
There's a fire in my house.
My house is on fire.
No matter how many times, or different ways I say it, I am still in disbelief.

Rylan is shaking.
He is looking at the fire crying "turn it off! Turn it off! Want go back to bed!"
I calmly tell him the firemen will come and turn it off.

Jaysen is frightened. "My tapes!"
Although he is frozen in shock and fear, he knows we can't retrieve his most beloved posessions.

What is taking the fire department so long?
Neighbors start to emerge from their houses. I cannot see them, but I am surrounded by arms of concerned people, asking me things I can't quite comprehend yet.

Yes, everyone make it out. Yes, my parents are on their way to get the kids. Yes, we called 911. Twice. No, I don't know where the fucking fire department is. Oh. you called too? So did you?
Where is the effing fire department???

The blaze quickly spreads throughout the house. It starts to lap at our cars parked in the driveway.
In a matter of seconds, I can hear popping. Windows. A bigger pop. Windshield. More popping. Tires. Until there was a boom. My car. Ohmigod, that was my car that just exploded.
Companion's car is attacked next. It is not spared.

Firetrucks flood the street. Finally.
A neighbor comments it took over 15 minutes for them to get there.

We watch as the teams attempt to quench the flames.
It doesn't seem to be working.
The fire inspector has questions. Lots and lots of questions.

They found our cat, Tiki. He didn't survive.
My knees buckle.

They can't get the fire out because there are three roofs.
Three roofs?
Apparently, before I bought the house, in an effort to make the roof uniform, they re-shingled over the whole roof each time they added on an addition. Garage was the first addition, then the sun room. Add that to the original house, and you have three layers.
Three layers which trapped the fire and created smoldering embers that kept restarting.
The trapped fire tears through the attic and collapses the ceiling.

Approximately fourteen hours later, the fire is out.




My car-



View of my greenhouse from the garage-




Kitchen- note my beloved coffee pot on the left *sniff*


Living room

Our Tiki...


We love you and miss you very much.

18 comments:

datri said...

Sitting here in tears for you. So sad about your cat. {{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

Although I do not actually know you....I'm sitting here crying for you. I will pray for you and will continue to pray for you.
Good luck, and I am so happy that your family is safe.
((hugs)) God bless you.

Queenbuv3 said...

I am so sorry this happened. Looking at how bad the fire was I am so glad you all made it out alive. If you need anything please contact me.
God bless, Beth

P.S. I'm crying too : (

mommy~dearest said...

Thank you all for your support- As mom-nos said, I may not know many of you personally, but I have been absolutely overwhelmed and humbled by the support of my blog friends.

The only update I have at the moment is we're still looking for housing, but should be somewhere early in the week. Now I remember why I was so excited to move out of my parent's house! :)

The kids are doing okay- I wish I could say they're not affected, but in truth, they are. Its heartbreaking every night when Rylan (2 and a half) wakes up crying "no, no, no!". Jaysen doesn't leave my side for very long.

Hopefully we will be able to gain some semblance very soon.

Thank you all again for your concern and kind thoughts.

Love to you and your families.

Mis

Jake Dillon said...

Oh my dear, dear girl.

You sound strong. Hang in there.

Let's know if we can help.

For you and companion,

XOXOXO

and for the kids

xoxoxoxxoxo

Niksmom said...

Oh, Sh*t!. Somehow knowing about it and actualy seeing it are worlds apart. My heart aches for yout Tiki; I would be devastated if my kitties didn't survive, too.

I think about you guys daily and send up a prayer that things turn around soon. Fingers crossed for new housing!

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Thinking of you always, sending love and big hugs. I am so, so sorry this happened.

Casdok said...

Am at a loss for words, those photos bring it home to me how lucky you all are to be alive.
Hope you find a house soon.
Hugs to all.

Marshella said...

Wow - you know how to make a girl cry. I'm literally in tears, feeling your heartbreak.

Ashley's Mom said...

Hang tough, and you're right, this too shall pass.

Deborah

Nicki said...

Oh my GOd...:( So sorry you're going through this

Mary (MPJ) said...

Oh, this was just so hard to read and see -- it must have been just horrifying to go through. I'm in tears too. My thoughts are with you. Do let us all know if there's anything we bloggers can do.

Mary said...

I am stunned. This is just unthinkable, and yet, there you are living it. How ARE you? How are your boys?

I wish there were something I could do.

Know that you're in my thoughts.

(And also, just to clarify, that earlier comment was not from me, but from a different blogger who appears to be using the same name.)

Julie L. said...

Oh No! So Sorry about your house and the loss of your cat. Am glad that you, your children and your companion made it out safely. Will be thinking of you...

mommy~dearest said...

We're hanging in there- we're still at my parent's house, so that's a bit trying with 6 of us under one roof.

Trying to keep a sense of normalcy is tough when I have to be at the house all day, digging through rubble, soot, and moldy things. It really is disgusting.

Thank you all for your concern and support. I am truly overwhelmed by everyone's responses. I can't pretend this doesn't suck hard core, but I am really thankful for all of you.

xoxoxo
Mis

Mary said...

I'm sure your blog is the last thing on your mind right now, but thanks for checking in and posting an update. You know we are all thinking about you.

Is there anything you need? Is there anything else we can do?

Kim Wombles said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your home and your cat. And so glad you got out safely. (((hugs)))

Osh said...

I am late...I have fallen behind on my blog reading...
I am so sorry for your losses...you and your family are in my prayers.