Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Oooh, that smell...

Oh yes.
The familiar scent around this time of year.
You know what I'm talking about.
It's IEP time, folks.

We've been through some Hades with our school district in the past.
Since the transfer to "The Good School", IEP's have truly felt like a Team effort, and most importantly focused on Jaysen's benefit.

I've transformed from crazed, legalese-speaking, wild-eyed, Momzilla- where I would prepare weeks in advance, and stay up the night before til the wee hours just to make sure I had every legal angle covered, every defense in line, and a counter for every excuse. You've never seen the crazed Momzilla? Watch the movie The Hunger. It's kinda like that. Only more terrifying.
To a more relaxed, even-keeled and focused Team member. I've even been known to watch TV the night before IEP.

It was niiiiiiice.

Until I got the invitation to the IEP.
Now the stress and anxiety is starting to creep in.
Jaysen's IEP's have been annual reviews.
This one is a redetermination IEP.
I? Have no idea what that means.

I thought redetermination meetings were to re-determine if said child still qualifies for special education and said services.
If they're putting their toe in the water to test if he would be okay without Sp.Ed, they better put that damn toe back where it came from, before I mangle it until they spew toe-jam when they cough.

Which got me to thinking.
Jaysen really doesn't get a whole lot of services.
He gets a parapro (Yay! And dammit, I earned her!), modified assignments, and Speech once a week.

What he would really benefit from is OT, but since there's "no gross or fine motor deficits, the district will only provide OT on a consult basis." And Psych/Social Work, but I guess they "don't do individual therapy in school". Apparently it's mixing church and state(of mind).

And-
While we're on things that benefit my incredibly handsome son, is now the time to start taking a more scrutinizing look at the things that will help him with life skills? I don't mean the skillz he learns at home, but real world skills. He's in the middle of third grade. Third grade is HUGE. It's all downhill from here.

It will be interesting if my hackles rise up.
I've never had to go toe-to-toe with this school before.
And my jujitsu is rusty.

7 comments:

Niksmom said...

Deeeeeep, sloooooow breaths. Whew. Redetermination is probably their word for the triennial review required under IDEA. Doesn't sound like it should be a big deal if you already do annual reviews.

Sending good thoughts.

Joy said...

They always say its a re-evaluation, but that does not mean they are looking to end services. They (hopefully) won't end services until he is ready. My sons have gone through the same school district and I have had no problems getting speech therapy for them. Hopefully you will have an easy time as well.

Joeymom said...

In Virginia, they have to do a re-determination every three years by law. For most kids, it is a formality.

As for the OT, don't buy it. If Jaysen has sensory integration issues, he is eligible of occupational therapy.- the school cannot limit itself to medical issues, because they are not supposed to be providing medical service- they are providing educational service. If your school OT is like ours and knows diddly-over-squat about sensory issues, its time to note the services of the school are not appropriate and they need to either hire an appropriate professional (or get this one some mega-training) or pay for yours.

mama edge said...

What everyone said. Don't let the PTSD get the best of you.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Add my vote to "what everyone said." Nigel gets one extra IEP every three years too (in addition to the annual) - just a formality. Here's hoping it's the same for Jaysen.

mommy~dearest said...

Thanks everyone! I feel way more at ease. This would be his triannual, so then it makes sense for the redetermination.

Joeymom- Jaysen receives a sensory diet (always thought that term was strange), from the OT consult. I would like the OT to work with him directly, not just train staff on sensory breaks. I'm wondering what other services I could ask for? I smell a project coming on... :)

Corrie Howe said...

I'm sure you are on top of this. I can't imagine that you won't be prepared when you walk in.