Thursday, April 10, 2008

Long time, no post

Heh.

I can't believe my head has not exploded at this point. I'm learning this new medical billing process- I hit my deadlines! Am fantastic. I know.

Update on the school situation? Sure, why not.

Jaysen still remains secluded in the "Quiet Room", but now the Team has thought it time to try and reintegrate him back into the GE class. Ohmigod- it's brilliant. Wish I had thought of that. *Sarcasm*

His IEP is Monday, and I'm shining up my incisors. I'm planning on making this the "Mutha of all IEP's", and I'm not backing down until we get it. Everything shall be spelled out and specific, and there shan't be any ambiguity mucking up the intentions. I want to know who, what, where, when, why, and how. And it will be documented. And shiny.

Remember the crack-attack parents of the other students? Y'know, the ones who want to hang me in effegy and send my son to an institution? Well, I received a phone call from the Special Services Representative asking my permission for the Superintendent to address the Board of Education at the next Board meeting about Jaysen.

Huh? Why would she be talking about my son at a Board meeting?

It turns out that the parents have attended the last two Board meetings, and brought their concern about my son wrecking their kids' education, to the attention of the Board. Nice. My son hasn't even been in the class for almost four months. If your kids aren't getting the education you feel they should be getting...it's not because of my kid.

So I talked with Spec.Services for a bit, and agreed on what the Superintendent would say. She wants to tell the parents, "he's 6 years old and has Autism- get over it.", but we came up with something much more appropriate. I mentioned that if parents were going to be there, I would want to be there too. She didn't think it would be a good idea (she's afraid they'll gang up on me), and advised me to stay home and watch it on TV.

TV??? This circus is on television?

Yep. They televise the Board of Ed meetings on our local access channel. My cousin called and told me that she had seen the last couple, and she had this sinking feeling when the parents had the floor. She prayed that it wasn't Jaysen they were talking about like that, but it was. *ugh*

In short, no parents ended up attending that particular meeting, so there was no excessive drama. But the room mom e-mailed me and said the parents would like to meet with me this Saturday. I accepted, and asked her to pick the time and location. The room mom seems to be receptive to hearing this "other side of the story", I just hope the other parents will be as well.

In the meantime, I am studying up like a demon for this IEP.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH..... I just want to go to that board meeting and bash all their heads in !!!!!

mommy~dearest said...

*update on the "parent meeting"*

I will be meeting with the room-mom and one other parent. Hmm...so much for the lynching.

It should still be colorful, since this is the mom that my cousin saw on TV, losing her mind and screaming at the Boadr of Education how her daughter is "suffering" and such.

Wish me luck.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Insanity. Total, complete insanity. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

OOOH, I'll go, I'll go!!! That just frosts me to the core. I'd go with you in a second and be on your side. I can't stand it when parents are like that, and I wish you the best of luck.

Darcy (asdmommy.wordpress.com - I found you via Odd One Out/Lastcrazyhorn)

Jessica said...

I am totally disgusted! There is no reason on this green earth that you should have to fight to have your child in a GE class, and no reason why ANY parent should have a problem or should have the RIGHT to complain! He is a child, regardless of his disability and his rights are being violated. I am so sorry for you and for Jayson. Raise Holy Hell sister!

Anonymous said...

Gadz. I can not believe these parents. Don't they have anything better to be doing? They obviously don't even know what they are talking about. I am so glad no one showed up for the meeting. I have seen those televised on television before. Not an exciting show.

I am so sorry this is all so difficult. You are having to advocate for everything and it has to feel like a second job. I know that feeling. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Tina Szymczak said...

My stomach is in knots for you - I cannot believe that this is even going on in this day and age. Well, sad part is I CAN believe it. Hang in there. I'm not sure I could put up with it the way you have been. Stay strong.

Anonymous said...

BTW, speaking of medical insurance, I just found out one of the codes that Medicare uses to define music therapy . . . if you or anyone you know could ever use it: G0176. It's not specifically for music therapy, but you can use it for that (it covers a wide range of artistic/alternate methods).

And if you ever want help with the terminology of your insurance, I can probably help some now. We just did an assignment for my ethics class on Medicare--an assignment that when finished, was nearly 20 thousand words long. I might mention that short novels are only 45 or 50 thousand words. *rolls eyes*