Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Busted.

"Mommy, there's nuckies in my juice".

(inspecting glass) "I don't see any nuckies, it's okay."

"No, there's nuckies in my juice".

(crap- that's the med.) "Here honey, we'll put some more juice in there."

"No! (pours juice into sink) I want new juice."

Crap, crap, crap. "Okay, you can have new juice". (preparing syringe for new dose to go with new juice)

Ugh. He can taste the meds in his juice. Risperdal is the most disgusting tasting med there is out there. There is no way to disguise the nastiness of this vile stuff. I've been pretty lucky so far, the closest Jaysen's come to complaining, is shooting me an inquisitive look, which I return with a look of ignorance, and all has been fine. But now what?!? Forget about disguising it in another food, because if it won't go in a cheese-it, I'm pretty much screwed.

Risperdal also comes in an "M-tab" which is a pain in the butt. He won't take any form of medicine, so it has to be dissolved and put in his juice again. That's when I just switched to the liquid. You can't always have hot water available to dissolve the M-tab, and if it's dissolved in cold liquid, you can see the granules floating on the top, which is of course, unacceptable.

However, the M-tab is peppermint flavored. I should say, it's flavored with peppermint. Which just makes for a vile, nasty, disgusting, stomach-wrenching, pseudo-pepperminty medicine. A bouquet of gasoline and grain alcohol, with peppermint undertones. Any way you take it, the shit is a nasty assault to the taste buds.

I'll have to talk to the psychiatrist on Friday, and let her know that he's onto the scheme, and we may have to go back to the M-tabs, or we're going to have to find something else. Damn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah we have this issue too of my son taking any meds. right now all we are doing is melatonin and something called valerian calm. i am really debating getting him some prescribed medication. i would love to know more about your experience and how you arrived at your decision.

mommy~dearest said...

Hi mom to max!

Putting Jaysen on meds was a very difficult decision for me. I didn't like the idea of a kid so young, being medicated. My biggest fear was that he would be a zombie, or have a flattened affect.

The psychiatrist was very reassuring that she absolutely thought there would be benefits for Jaysen. I thought we could always try it, and if it didn't work, we could discontinue it as well.

I still don't like the idea that he's medicated, but there is no question that he is benefitting.
His anxiety is lower, he has started speaking more, he is able to focus, and most importantly, he is enjoying himself. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like more specifics- and thanks for stopping by!