Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Meet the fam.

Just so people have an idea about who we are, I figured I should at least post a little introduction. Funny I didn't think of this first...

Anyway, hi. I'm mom. I work full time (wishing I didn't), and am raising two beautiful sons- Jaysen and Rylan. Jaysen is 5 years old, Rylan is 5 months. The love between these two brothers is an awesome sight. I've never been much for labels, but Jaysen is considered high-functioning Autistic, PDD-NOS. Rylan is...well...5 months. :)

At 25, I got married. After a few years of doing the "wifey" thing, I wanted a child. My husband informed me that he already had two kids (from his first marriage), and that was enough for him. *blink*blink* Excuse me? What did you just say? Oh okay. You don't want any more kids, so I'm telling you now that I'm going off the pill, and it's all your responsibility. Needless to say, I got pregnant with Jaysen. I win!

To make a long story short, we ended up divorcing. It was the most mutual split in the history of "irreconcilable differences", and we are still cool today.

Although I am a single mom, I am not doing this alone. I have a wonderful support system. My family is very involved, the school district has been amazing, and then there's my...hmmm...what do I call him? Despite the humor I find in it, he doesn't like the term "baby daddy" because of it's ghettofabulous connotations, and I'm not fond of the term "boyfriend" because it seems so temporary...so I'll call him my... companion. Don't get me wrong, I love Companion- he's awesome.

Companion and I have been together for over 4 years now. We worked together, so I've known him for 8 years. when Companion and I hooked up, Ex asked what took so long, since he always thought we would've been so great together.

Anyway, Companion has been great. He has been with us since Jaysen was two. He's pretty much the only consistent father figure Jaysen has. Jaysen adores him. Companion knew I wanted more kids, he did not. Said he never thought of himself as being a Dad. After much discussion, we decided not to have more. Sure I was bummed, but I started to see the light. I could focus on Jaysen, and hopefully provide him with the things that he would need, and maybe even indulge in a 'want' here or there. Yes, I could definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I scheduled my surgery date for a tubal ligation. 2 weeks before my surgery, I found out I was pregnant. Hello! How the heck did that happen? I was taking my pill! Regardless of our previous decision, I was ecstatic. Companion was freaking out because of finances, his age, blah blah... But let me tell you- he loves that baby more than life. He is an amazing Daddy. Not just to Rylan, but to Jaysen as well. Yes, Jaysen tries his nerves. Yes, he doesn't always "get it" when it comes to ASD stuff. But his heart is in the right spot, and it's brimming with love for these kids. That is where I'm luckier than most.

So that's the fam. Oh yeah, we have a cat and 3 fish. Well, 2 fish...one was sent to a watery grave last night. As Jaysen would say..."down the hole"!

No comments: